Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Quotable Runner

“If you want to win something, run 100 meters. If you want to experience something, run a marathon.” ~Emil Zatopek

“In running, it doesn't matter whether you come in first, in the middle of the pack, or last. You can say, 'I have finished.' There is a lot of satisfaction in that.” ~Fred Lebow, New York City Marathon co-founder 

“If the furnace is hot enough, it will burn anything.” ~John L. Parker

“There are clubs you can't belong to, neighborhoods you can't live in, schools you can't get into, but the roads are always open.” ~Nike 

“Methinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow.” ~Henry David Thoreau 

“Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second.” ~William James 

“Bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible.” ~William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar