Sunday, March 23, 2014

Bipolar and Me and Me: 5 Things I've Learned about Bipolar II Disorder

1) About 2.5% of the U.S. population suffers from some form of bipolar disorder – nearly 6 million people. So we're in good company.


2) The psychiatrist I'd been seeing for the past th
ree years misdiagnosed my condition. He was less like a medical doctor, and more like the doctors in Spies Like Us.
3) Bipolar II is pretty trendy these days. As a result, it's earned the false reputation as the milder, more fun younger brother of Bipolar I. Like the kind of easygoing mental illness you could have a beer with. The reality is, Bipolar II is different from Bipolar I but still equally severe.

4) Studies have shown a link between Bipolar Disorder and Creativity. But when I enact a full performance of The Pirates of Penzance with my cats, it's still considered "weird."
5) "If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance." ~George Bernard Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment