Saturday, September 2, 2017

Multiple

The face of Multiple Sclerosis has changed so dramatically in the past 20 years it's virtually had unrecognisable facelift. 



2 years ago I experienced a MS flare up so intense regular morphine injections were needed to keep me from losing consciousness, I now consider myself a morphine sommelier, try the 2007 its delicious  When I emerged I could barely walk even with a walker and the idea of ever running again seemed as unlikely as flying.

I expected myself to rage at the unfairness of the disease, life, and every imagined missed opportunity that was now lost behind this confusing, limiting disease. Eventually I reached out the enormity of MS resources and forced myself to acknowledge the fact that 20 years ago, my medical options would have fit in a thimble. I had tremendous success with TYSABRI, the very first medication I tried and experienced exactly zero side effects. I've heard the stories of people diagnosed at 16 or those who needed 4 or 5 medications before anything made some sort of difference and realized I'd dodged crippling side effects, outrageous medication costs, comparatively and it made me feel like the luckiest person on earth. 

I have my 7th infusion this month before I return to DC. I have a handful of goals set out for myself but my true mission is that if I can make one difference, any difference, for MS advocacy, then whatever pity, regret or remorse I might've harbored would be worth the price of admission. I've seen a lot of men and women with MS who are truly strong as fuck, so much stronger than me and I'm so proud to be on their team.


How I assume (know) I walk now

No comments:

Post a Comment