Monday, October 15, 2018

Spoon Theory

When I wanted to get my fifth tattoo, it was a toss up between a drunk, topless mermaid and a spoon. But then the mermaid got me drunk and talked me into a small symbolic spoon.


Image may contain: one or more people

The spoon theory is based on those who struggle with any chronic illness or disability. The meaningful cutlery represents the disproportionate amount of energy or effort it takes people to accomplish identical tasks. For example, it may take you one spoon to key your ex's car, while it takes me, with MS, five spoons. The spoon serves as both an encouragement and a comfort, reminding us that no matter how large the challenge we face or how depleted our condition has left us, we always have an extra spoon to count on.   

No comments:

Post a Comment